Translate

Wednesday 20 May 2015

"The Shining" gets a prequel?

You may or may not have heard this but the otherday I heard someone talking about how "The Shining" was getting a sequel, and I being a huge fan of this film thought "WHAT THE FUCK! Why would anyone want to do that as the first film was sooo good you can't do that, there are some things you just don't touch things like this", and let me tell you when I first heard this news it did rile me some what and it took me a while to calm down, but thankfully I heard this all wrong and this is what is actually going to happen...there will be a prequel to "The Shining" called "The Overlook Hotel".

According to Collider.com Glen Mazzara who took over Frank Darabont as showrunner for AMC'S "The Walking Dead" before being forced out of the position through the most recent season is being "tapped" to write the screenplay for this.

Variety Magazine reported on July 18th 2014 that the draft of this new prequel will be based on Stephan King's original prologue to "The Shining" which was cut from the book's first publication in 1977, this will be an origin story of The Overlook Hotel through the eyes of it's first owner Bob T. Watson. He was a robber baron at the turn of the 20th Century, he scaled the remote peaks of The Colorado Rockies to build the grandest resort in America, a place where he and his family could call home.

Also according to Variety Magazine's website Mark Romanek is in negotiations to direct this new film for Warner Bros, with Laeta Kalogridis and JamesVanderbilt and Bradley Fischer set to produce this.

The sequel book to this amazing story of Stephan Kings' "Doctor Sleep",-which I'm starting to read and I have already started to read a couple of pages already as I'm just itching to find out what happened to Danny Torrence and Wendy after what happened at the end of "The Shining", and after reading just a few pages I'm already hooked and can't wait to read what happens next in the book- is also according to Variety Magazine's website is trying to be adapted into a film by Warner Bros.

And this leads me back to the point of why I have put a question mark in the title of this post title...I really don't know if "The Shining" needs a prequel or sequel or whatever this studio has planned for Stephan King's novel as this was in my opinion the greatest horror films,-well not really a horror film more like a thriller in my opinion in the old fashioned sense of the word along the same lines as the god that is Alfred Hitchcock as everything in this movie of Stanley Kibrick's film was more suspense driven using things such as setting of scenes such as long camera shots of corridors (I still get the hibigeebees when looking down a corridor that I have to walk down), music etc etc-, and along with other Alfred Hitchcock films these are the only scary films I can bear to watch as every film that is billed as a thriller is more a horror than a thriller and that really gets me really frustrated.

I don't know any other news apart from this, but I really don't see how you can make a prequel that's going to be as good as Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining", but I guess you can only try and make something that is still as good as that film was.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment